Companies face the challenges of changing customer requirements and disruptions. New digital services, new competitors and new business models based on digital technologies are at issue. In the future, having a strong internal IT department will become increasingly important to companies. Experts in technology and in handling data (big data, unstructured data, data analysis, etc.) are required internally.
The reasons are multifarious:
- IT is crucial for survival. In times of disruptive change, superior IT affords a competitive edge.
- IT plays a central role in developing new digital business models.
- The requirements on the departments are tightening. In particular, Generations Y and Z are very IT savvy and have grown up with the technical possibilities of digitization.
- Business and IT must closely intermesh with one another and maintain a mutual understanding.
- Owing to the high risks from hacking and malware, cyber-security experts must be on hand.
Both the departments and corporate IT must accordingly fulfill level 4 requirements.